There are so many reasons why so many of us can’t lose weight.
What it comes down to, though, is that because we haven’t been given the right tools, we’re just not doing it right.
The first problem is that we use the word “diet,” tossing it around like it’s a temporary phase until we get to return to our old, unhealthy eating habits.
Is there any reason to believe that this could be a successful way to lose weight?
It’s not, not by a long shot.
1. Weight loss and dieting are NOT the same thing
But sometimes it takes years to realize that diets don’t usually result in weight loss.
Experts say that 90 percent of people who go on “a diet” will gain back all of the weight they lost. Even more troubling, for most people, returning to bad habits means that weight comes back with a vengeance, usually bringing along at least 10 extra pounds for good measure.
When I discovered Beachbody five years ago, I learned the most important part of any plan to improve your health, body and fitness.
Weight loss is not about dieting, it’s about making changes in lifestyle that will last a lifetime.
Looking at it otherwise will just get in the way of real weight loss.
Weight loss myths that we believe
Almost everyone has battled with weight or poor body image at some point in their lives, and thanks to women’s magazines, well-meaning friends and the internet, there are things we believe that just aren’t true.
Some recently researched fitness falsehoods include:
2. Losing weight slowly is smarter because it will stay off.
3. Snacking leads to weight gain.
4. Eating close to bedtime makes you fat.
5. Weighing yourself daily hinders weight loss.
6. Eating more fruits and veggies helps you lose weight.
7. Genes don’t play a role in obesity.
8. Yo-yo dieting can kill you.
9. Drinking more water will help you lose weight.
10. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
According to a 2014 article appearing in the journal Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, there is little evidence to support any of it. In reality, it’s all basically bullshit.
Here’s the reality:
- It doesn’t matter how fast you lose weight, as long as you have the tools in hand to keep it off.
- Smart snacking can keep you from bingeing at mealtimes, so you eat less and keep weight off.
- Eating more fruits and veggies or drinking more water won’t matter if you’re still not fueling yourself properly. If you use the two as tools to fill you up with good food, leaving little room for junk, you will see success.
- Genetics DO play a role in your weight, (but that doesn’t mean you have to carry on a overweight family tradition).
- Yo-yo dieting is depressing, not deadly.
- Breakfast is not the most important meal of the day, Shakeology is. Most of us overeat because our bodies are starved for nutrients that we aren’t getting. Shakeology covers those nutritional deficits – and has protein and fiber – so you’ll not only feel fuller for longer, you’ll also be less likely to be caught with your hand in the proverbial cookie jar.
Life is not a diet
Not only does Shakeology fill you up, it also helps fuel your workouts, so you have the energy to help reshape your body – and your life.
When you have the energy to make positive physical changes, you can make positive life changes, as well.
The Beachbody program changed my life, not only because it help me uncover muscles and personal strength I didn’t know I had, but also because it helped me find my inner glow.
I was depressed before I found my coach through Facebook and joined her community – it shows in my before photo (click here) in my expression, my skin and my posture.
I had no energy, and I was only 25. How was I going to make it into retirement at that rate? The truth is, I probably wasn’t. And even if I did, how would my quality of life be? Extremely LOW.
Beachbody helped me feel alive again, not only giving me back my life but giving me a better one in the process.
I have energy, willpower and exuberance. Life is truly beautiful now!
Not only that, the diverse workouts have helped me sculpt a body I never believed to be possible AND BEYOND.
Changing the way you think about weight loss – and making it a lifelong commitment to health, wellness and joy – is the key to unlocking your own personal success.